Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Disney Day 2: Magic Kingdom and near Mommy Meltdown



Magic Kingdom day came—the day I had been waiting for for years!  And it started on a bit of a sour note.  After getting settled back in the room after being at Epcot the night before, I called the front desk to ask about bus transportation for early breakfast reservations.  We had breakfast reservations for the Buffet with Character at Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends at 8:15 which is 45 minutes before the park opens.  I knew we needed to be there early.  According to the front desk, the first bus would leave at 7:00 a.m.  So at 6:56 a.m. we were walking up the bus stop . . . just in time to watch the 7:00 Magic Kingdom bus drive away.  I was completely shocked and honestly, utterly furious.  I could not believe the first bus would leave early!!!  So that left us in a crunch.  We SHOULD have just waited 20 minutes for the next bus, but we didn’t know for sure when the next bus would arrive, so we decided to drive.  What we didn’t know was that the Magic Kingdom parking lot is not actually at the Magic Kingdom.  So after parking, we roamed around for a while until a cast member told us to take the resort monorail to MK.  So in an effort to stay positive, I told myself yay, the kids get to ride the monorail.

the kids riding the monorail


We got into the Magic Kingdom early, and I believe we were the third family to check in at Crystal Palace.  We had just enough time to snap some family pictures in front of the castle, and then we were called to be seated.

The restaurant was gorgeous, and the food was good.  But by far the best part was the character interaction.  Within 10 minutes of being seated and getting our food, Eeyore started making his rounds.  I was a little nervous about how eating with the characters would work.  I was afraid of being up getting food and having a character come to the table while I was gone.  But my fears were completely alleviated.  A character-handling cast member would come to the table a few minutes before their character would visit you just to let you know not to get up and to get your camera and autograph books ready.  It was absolutely fabulous!!  I wish you all could have seen the looks on my sweet babies' faces when they saw each new character walk in the room.  Absolutely precious!  C’s squeals of delight are something I will never forget.  And Tigger was happy to oblige when B asked if they could bounce together.  Be still my heart.  DISNEY TIP #5:  Do at least one character meal.  Eating with the characters is TOTALLY worth it!









We were done eating and seeing all four Pooh characters by ten minutes before 9:00.  But of course, we have been having glitches, so their computer system went down right as we were ready to pay.  But once they got started up again, we paid and were headed to Fantasyland at 9:00.  The FastPass machines for Pooh and The Little Mermaid are by Mickey’s Philharmagic and I knew I wanted to FastPass Pooh right away.  DISNEY TIP #6:  Take advantage of the FastPass system.  We literally walked right on to every single ride we FastPassed--with the exception of one which I will get to on Day 4.  But back to the Magic Kingdom.  Everyone else was FastPassing The Little Mermaid like crazy, and I walked right up to scan for Pooh.  And as was par for the course with us this trip, another glitch—B’s ticket had not been properly scanned when we entered the park.  So when I inserted it in the FastPass machine, it gave me a ticket stating the ticket I had inserted was invalid because it had not been used to enter the park that day.  WHAT?  Long story short, either I did not scan his ticket at all or the admission machine did not read it accurately.  Another glitch, but I am still trying to be positive.  So we went straight to Peter Pan’s Flight and got in the stand by line.  After riding Peter Pan, we headed to the new Fantasyland and rode Under the Sea—Journey of the Little Mermaid and then hopped over to get FastPasses for Dumbo and Barnstormer.  It was there that the cast member could actually tell me why B’s ticket would not give me a FastPass.  She very kindly gave me a card that would give me a FastPass for Dumbo and Barnstormer and I was on my way.  We got in the FastPass line for The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and I really got to see how great the FastPass system is.  The line was pretty long (at least 45 minutes or more), but we breezed thru in about 5.  After Pooh, we rode the Mad Tea Party tea cups and got in line to meet Alice and the White Rabbit—but never fear another glitch popped up.  Alice was going on break.  So we went back and rode Barnstormer (hands down B’s favorite ride of the trip) and Dumbo.




We walked over to it’s a small world and stood in a pretty short and quickly moving stand-by line for it.  But as I was getting off the ride, my bag slipped and fell to the ground—shattering the lens of my camera.  At this point, I was having serious second thoughts about planning this trip.  But once again, I was trying to stay positive.  We headed to Frontierland to scan FastPasses for Splash Mountain which B had been dying to ride, but the return time was not good for us and the crowd level was really starting to peak, so we decided to head back to the room for a rest.  As we were walking out, C fell asleep in the stroller, so we hit the McDonald’s inside ‘the world.’  It took us forever to find it, and the drive thru line was out into the street.  At this point the hubs and I are both at our limit for frustration, and I am about to meltdown.  And then I was reminded of why I love that man in the first place—we started to laugh.  We laughed about all the little things that had happened that were putting a bit of a wet blanket on the trip.  We got back to the room with our food and ate.  I showed the kids the glow-in-the-dark items that I had gotten them for our evening in the Magic Kingdom and kind of made a comment under my breath to the hubs about how they probably won’t work considering how things had gone so far.  The hubs reply:  “Well, if all goes as planned, they will work.  But if it follows the norm,  . . .” and he made a face.  It was a turning point in the trip.  For whatever reason, that comment and the face he made struck me as extremely hilarious.  I started laughing so hard I could hardly breathe and had tears running down my face.  And from then on, every time we hit a glitch—and believe me, we had many more coming our way—we just chalked it up to “the norm” and laughed. (And for those of you who are still devastated about my camera lens, I was able to check it out in the room.  What had shattered into a million pieces was actually a protective lens that was screwed into the real lens.  So I was able to just unscrew it, brush out the tiny shards of broken glass from the actual camera lens, and continue taking some great pictures.)

So B took a nap in the room, and C (who was wide awake and ready to go by the time we got back to the room) went to the pool with the hubs.  We returned to Magic Kingdom around 5:30 and headed to scan FastPasses for Splash Mountain and went to get on The Magic Carpets of Aladdin.  We were loaded on our carpet and strapped in when ‘the norm’ struck again.  They closed the ride due to lightening in the area.  So we disembarked our carpet and headed to Tomorrowland.  We stood in an hour long line for Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin (which is not ideal, but with half of the rides closed due to lightening, people were flocking to the open rides) and then went to Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Café for some dinner.





With fear of more lightening closing rides again, B and I got in the stand by line for Splash Mountain before our FastPass time came up and had a blast on the ride.  While we were riding, the hubs and C watched the Electric Parade and saw us come down the big hill.  We got back on the Magic Carpets just in time to watch the Wishes fireworks show from our carpet and then head out.  We were among the masses headed down Main Street U.S.A. after the fireworks which was a bit nerve-wracking, but the wait for the bus was not bad.  C once again was asleep in the stroller, and B was fast on his way.  We got them in bed and got ourselves ready for another early morning the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment