Thursday, March 28, 2013

Resurrection Rolls

As a part of B's homeschooling today, we made resurrection rolls.  The focus for this week has been the letter e and Easter (obviously).  And making resurrection rolls was part of the curriculum.  I had seen these on Pinterest, but I especially loved the additional information that was with the curriculum.  So, here's how we made them.

First I prepped the ingredients, which was ridiculously easy.  All you need is large marshmallows, a tube of crescent rolls, 1/4 cup of sugar, 2 tsp of cinnamon, and some melted butter.  My butter (I had 2 tbsp of butter left over in the fridge, so that's how much I used) was in the microwave melting when I snapped this picture, so it is missing. 


These were super easy to make and pretty yummy.  And B really loved helping.  The marshmallow represents Jesus.  It is pure white and without any imperfection.  The first step is to take a marshmallow and dip it in the butter.  After it is coated in butter, you roll it around in the suger and cinnamon which should be combined in a small bowl.  The cinnamon and sugar mixture is representative of the spices that were rubbed on Jesus's body after his crucifixion.



After the marshmallow is thoroughly coated in cinnamon and sugar, place it on an unrolled crescent roll.  The crescent rolls are representative of the cloth used to wrap Jesus's body.  This is the hardest part--you have to wrap the marshmallow COMPLETELY in crescent roll.  This is easier said than done.  If and when I make these again, I will probably roll out the crescent rolls to make them a little bit wider.  But once I got them all wrapped up, I placed them on a cookie sheet and placed them in a 350* oven.  The oven represents the tomb that Jesus's body was placed in.



Now came the kinda surprising part.  After baking them for 10 minutes, I opened the oven door to find hot, molten marshmallow bubbling out of most of my rolls.  This is why it is very important to make sure the marshmallows are completely wrapped.  I was mildly panicked (which is my I don't have a picture) but I also felt like the rolls needed another couple of minutes to brown, so I set the timer for 2 more minutes.  After that, there was less marshmellow lava everywhere, and they were lightly browned so I pulled them out of the oven.  Note the melted marshmallow on the pan.


Here is a close up picture of one of these delicious things!



Now this is the actual resurrection part of these rolls.  After letting them cool, pop one open and SURPRISE Jesus's body is gone!  He is no longer in the tomb!  (Remember the marshmallow represented Jesus's body.)  I was kinda surprised that it actually worked, but it did.  The rolls that were wrapped the best also looked the most 'empty' when popped open.  And the melted marshmallow acts as a bit of a glaze.  They really are delicious.  And the surprised look on the kids' faces is well worth the effort!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment