Saturday, September 7, 2013

Shared Birthday

My sweet baby boy entered this world on my 26th birthday.  I distinctly remember the midwife laughing and telling me, "You will have dinosaur birthday cakes for the rest of your life."  She wasn't too off base from the truth.  But my mom does a great job of making sure my birthday still at least stays mine a little bit.

But this year, B and I had an especially fun day.  The night before our birthday, I let him open a small gift from Hubs and me--a gift that meant that I would do something I didn't think I would ever do.  My name is Anita, and I bought not one, but TWO graphic tees from Wal-Mart for my child to wear.  He got a Despicable Me 2 minion shirt AND and Angry Birds shirt.  I knew he would like something special to wear on his birthday and for his party.

Since he was turning 5, that means that for the first time he was really mature enough to make some decisions about what to do on his special day.  So, wearing his new minion shirt, he went with me to drop C off with Pop and JuJu, and we had the whole day all to ourselves!  Of course, he wanted a picture of himself with C (who insisted on wearing a yellow shirt as well) before we left.

  

We headed straight to Waffle House for what wound up being more of a brunch than breakfast.  Waffle House is one of B's favorite breakfast spots, and, well, I tolerate it.  This may have been the first time in two years that B and I actually sat down and ate a meal alone.  Just the two of us.  And for this mama, it was wonderful.






After waffles, he decided that he wanted to go swimming at "Memom's pool."  Memom is a sweet friend from church who has opened her pool to us to use whenever we want.  So I gave her a call and she said to come on by.  Since B did so well with his swimming lessons over the summer, it was a pretty laid back way to spend the rest of the morning.  He was jumping and splashing around, and I would soak and watch my little fish.



After swimming he declared that he wanted Burger King for lunch, so we drove through and headed home for a quiet lunch and movie.  Donned once again in his minion shirt, he watched Despicable Me and then went to bed for a nap while I worked on some final items for his birthday party.  Hubs got home, and we met my parents with C and my brother and his wife at our local pizza place.

Honestly, there where no frills, bells or whistles, but it was one of the best birthdays I have had in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment