Thursday, March 6, 2014

Hidden Veggies

Admittedly, neither my kids nor myself are veggie lovers.  I had good intentions and gave both of them lots of veggies when they were babies.  But as they have grown, they just don't eat veggies as well as I would like for them to.  So, I hide them--in pasta dishes and smoothies mostly.  I will grate a carrot and about half a zucchini in spaghetti sauce or lasagna, and the kids never notice it.  But my latest hidden veggie has been a HUGE success--milkshakes.  Ok, so they are actually smoothies, but my kids call them milkshakes.  Here they are finishing up a Berry Blast Spinach smoothie yesterday.

Photo: This is my children enjoying a "strawberry milkshake" that is actually a smoothie that contains spinach, yogurt, and flaxseed. For all the mothers who sneak veggies into their unsuspecting kids, I say muahahahaha (insert my super villain laugh here).

They scarfed it down and requested another one this morning.  I happily obliged while doing a secret super villain mommy laugh in my head knowing how they did not at all suspect the presence of a green leafy vegetable in their delicious milkshakes!  Here is the recipe if you are interested in tricking your kids too.  haha

Berry Blast Spinach Smoothie

1/4 c yogurt (I use low fat vanilla yogurt.)
1/4 c milk (or more if needed to blend)
1/2 c frozen mixed berries
1/2 c frozen strawberries
1 handful of baby spinach (I use organic.)
1 tbsp of ground flaxseed (This can be found with the flour and baking mixes in the grocery store.)

Combine it all in a blender until the berries are broken down and the spinach is ground up and hidden.  It makes a large single serving or enough for three or four people to have small servings.

I do love giggling to myself while the kids unknowingly eat and enjoy spinach.

No comments:

Post a Comment