Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Momfessional's Recipe Club {Crescent-Topped Cheeseburger Bake}

Have I got an easy-peasy, family-friendly meal to share with you today.  This is so yummy and so easy, you will be making it all the time, I promise.  I wish I could remember the original source for this recipe because I did not create it myself--I found it online one evening in a moment of desperately needing something new to make.  It has been a weeknight staple at our house ever since.  And of course, as most mom-cooks do, I have modified it to fit my family's size and taste preferences.

Crescent-Topped Cheeseburger Bake

1-1.5 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
Black pepper to taste
7 slices of American cheese
1 can crescent rolls
1 egg
Sesame seeds

Brown the ground beef with the chopped onions.  At this point you could add chopped bell pepper if you want--I abhor bell pepper, so I don't add it, but I think the original recipe called for it.  Drain and stir in the water, ketchup, mustard, and black pepper.  You may want to add a bit more ketchup depending on how much ground beef you are using.  Pour beef mixture into a greased 11 x 7 pan.  (I don't have a pan that size, so I use a 9 x 13 pan.)  Top with the American cheese.  I have found that I can fit two rows of 3.5 slices of cheese across the pan.  Roll out the crescents with a little flour so they will seal together and fit better in the pan.  Cut pieces of crescent roll to fill in the holes if necessary.  Brush with egg and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.  Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes until the filling is bubbly and the top is browned.



Viola!  Add a salad or an easy side like corn, green beans or peas, and you have yourself a great dinner for your family.  My kids LOVE this casserole and clean their plates of it every time I make it.


A few notes from the cook:  our family of four can easily eat this entire casserole, so don't count on having leftovers unless your crew is made up of light eaters.  I have been known to completely double the filling part of the recipe (using maybe 3/4 cup of water instead of a whole cup) just to add a bit more bulk to the recipe and make it more filling.  The original recipe also called for chopped pickles in the filling.  While my husband would love that, I don't like pickles, so I leave them out.  Pretty much any burger topping besides lettuce could be tossed into this filling and be pretty good.

Enjoy!

Be sure to link up your own recipe with the Momfessionals Recipe Club!



No comments:

Post a Comment