Thursday, April 3, 2014

Pinterest Recipe Thursday {Baked Shrimp and Grits}

I recently had a friend post on Facebook that she had resolved to try one of the recipes she has pinned on Pinterest at least once a week.  I thought that was a GREAT idea, so I have also resolved to try more new recipes.  This week I made Baked Shrimp and Grits from oystersandpearls.net, and it was a true success.

Baked Shrimp and Grits:

6 cups of water
1.5 cups of dry quick cooking grits
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 pound block of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tsp Lawry's Seasoning Salt
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce (I leave this out.)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
3 eggs beaten
Shrimp (frozen or fresh)

Bring the 6 cups of water to a boil and add the grits.  Cook 5-7 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from heat and add the butter and cheese.  Stir until melted.  Add the Lawry's, salt, garlic powder, and hot sauce (if using) and stir to combine.  Once it has cooled a bit, slowly fold in the beaten eggs.  Pour this mixture into a greased 9 x 13 pan.  Lay the shrimp on top of the grits and bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes or until browned on top and the middle has set.

I used frozen shrimp and they cooked up perfectly.  I just wish I had had more, but then again, to me you can't have too many shrimp!  Here is how it looked going into the oven.


And here is how it looked coming out.  About half way through the cooking process, I used a fork to push the shrimp down in the grits to keep them from getting too done.  I wish I had dome this before putting it in the oven.  I think it would have helped the grits kind of rise up around the shrimp.  And I am pretty sure I cooked mine for about an hour and 15 minutes.  Don't let that "45 minute" thing fool you--it will take much longer!


I served mine with a salad topped with my homemade Olive Garden copycat dressing, and it was a really delicious dinner.  Ok, so my kids weren't wild about it, but the Hubs and I enjoyed it.


And I will also say that the left overs and delish as well.  One of the many great things about his recipe is that it is good any time of day.  It makes a really satisfying breakfast, as well as lunch and dinner.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment