Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pinterest Recipe Thursday {The Easiest Brown Rice}

Ok, I confess.  I did not find this recipe on Pinterest.  I actually found it in the old cookbook that my elementary school sold as a fund raiser when I was growing up.  There are approximately a bazillion different ways to make this, but I will share the way I make it.

I will start with the ingredients.  They are all items that you either already have on hand or can easily add to your pantry on a regular basis.  And there's only four:  a can of beef consume, a can of french onion soup, butter, and rice.


The Easiest Brown Rice

1 can beef consume
1 can french onion soup
1/2 stick butter
1 cup rice

 Ok, I have another confession.  When I made this and took the pictures, I misremembered the recipe and actually used a whole stick of butter instead of half a stick.  But I think this just shows the versatility of this recipe.  It's hard to mess it up.  So, if you go to make it, your casserole may look a little different from mine if you follow the recipe.  Personally, I didn't notice a difference taste-wise, so I plan to use just half a stick of butter when I make this in the future.  Why add the extra fat and calories for no taste improvement?

So anyway, I just drop the half stick of butter in the 9 x 9 pyrex dish and put it in the oven to melt while the oven is preheating.  I removed the pan of melted butter, pour in the rice, and stir it up some to coat the rice in the butter.


Then I poured in the cans of consumme and soup and stir it up again.  The rice sinks to the bottom, but it soaks up all the yumminess while it cooking, so the rice doesn't stay on the bottom.  (This was when I noticed that maybe I had put too much butter.  You can see the oil floating here.  It usually looks darker than this after adding the canned items.)


Bake it at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the rice has soaked up the liquid and is done.  I usually dig a fork into the middle and just taste it.  If the rice is no longer hard, it is ready to serve.  You can see where I had sampled some in the picture below.


This rice is a hit everywhere I take it, and my family enjoys it when I make it with dinner.  On this particular night, I served it with smothered chicken and green peas.  Yummy!


I will share the recipe for Smothered Chicken next Thursday.  It is also very easy and always at hit with my family.

Update:  You can read about that delicious Smothered Chicken here.

No comments:

Post a Comment