Monday, January 27, 2014

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

I have been in a serious cooking frenzy lately.  I am on an intense mission to both lose weight and save money.  Combine those two and you get cooking and eating at home.  A lot.  And so I have been sharing lots of recipes.  I have one more for you that has been a staple in our home pretty much since we got married--Easy Chicken Pot Pie.  It is actually a combination of two recipes that I got from two different friends--the filling from one and the crust from the other.  I always loved friend J's chicken pot pie, but she makes her crust from scratch.  By "made from scratch" I mean cutting in the shortening, roll it out, the whole ball of wax.  It is flaky and delicious . . . and a lot of work and a mess to clean up once you are done.  Another sweet friend shared her chicken pot pie recipe as part of a game at one of my bridal showers.  Her filling calls for eggs which I do not love, but the crust could not be easier.  So I decided one day to combine them and see what would happen.  The result was heavenly, and I have been making it ever since.  Here are the ingredients:


Easy Chicken Pot Pie

Filling:

1 can of chicken
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 can of cream of potato soup
1 can of mixed vegetables (or half a bag of frozen mixed veggies)
1/2 cup of milk

Crust:

1 stick of butter melted
1 cup of milk
1 cup of self-rising flour

Combing the filling ingredients and pour into baking dish.  Combine ingredients for crust and pour it over the filling.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

You read that right--you just pour the crust over the filling.  Much like those peach cobbler recipes wear the crust rises to the top, this crust looks like pancake batter, stays on top and browns up nicely.  Here is the before and after:



Yep, that's it.  It could not be easier.  This recipe is a Go-To recipe for me for many reasons.  One, all of the ingredients are either pantry items that I can easily keep on hand or they are household staples that everyone has like milk and butter.  Two, I can throw this together when I have forgotten to pull meat out of the freezer to thaw.  Three, my kids LOVE it which means it is an easy way to get vegetables in them.  Four, it is the meat, the sides, and the bread all in one.  I usually throw together some pear salads or peach salads and call it a day.  And don't be turned off my the canned chicken.  I am not usually a fan of canned meats, but once everything gets mixed in, you can't even tell it is canned.  But if you are real particular, you can always pre-cook some chicken.  I like the ease of just opening the can.


For anyone who cooks for a family, this is a no-brainer.  I have made this for potlucks and friends who had been in the hospital, and it is a hit every time!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment