Thursday, October 31, 2013

Journey with Jesus

For the second year in a row, our church offered a Trick-or-Treat alternative called Journey with Jesus.  Basically, the kids travel around the church, knock on doors and get candy (just like trick-or-treating), but the difference is that each room is a different location where Jesus went at some point in his life.  Someone is there to tell about what Jesus did in that place.  After listening to the story, the kids got candy and traveled on.  It was a super fun night, and my kids loved it--as did the Hubs and I.

B wanted to go as David from the Bible, and C went as a duck/chick.  I would call their costumes this year "Halloween on a budget" as I did not spend a dime on their costumes.  Everything was stuff I already had on hand from other projects or hand-me-downs.  More on that here.  They posed for a picture in front on my fall display by the kitchen door.  Please ignore the mostly dead mums and the bag of potting soil.

  

We arrived at the church and headed straight for the room where my mom and dad (aka Pop and JuJu) were sharing about how Jesus was tempted in the desert.  Then we went on to the rest of the rooms.



Jesus's first miracle--turning water into wine





Learning about Jesus from Uncle Jay



 Learning about Jesus's baptism in the Jordan River

Since B was dressed at David and conveniently had his "sling" tucked into his belt, he decided to slay Goliath (one of our youth boys) between room visits.



 I really loved this event at church, but there was one thing in particular that made it really great for me.  Typically, something like this is all about the kids.  But this event easily involved the entire church.  We had youth kids, college students, singles, married, young couples, grandparents, and everyone in between involved and actually sharing the gospel with the kids of the church.  It just doesn't get much better than that as far as I am concerned.

And P.S.  Happy Reformation Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment