Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Woman Possessed

I don't consider myself to be an obsessive person.  I am not obsessively neat.  I don't obsessively exercise (insert the Hubs's hysterical laughter here).  But when I lose something, I tend to get a bit obsessed with finding the lost item.  This was the case recently.

Sunday afternoon, B had dress rehearsal for the church Christmas program where he will be portraying the part of the cow.  And while I did not have his costume finished yet, I did have a set of cow ears that I had borrowed from another mom at the church.  I distinctly remembered seeing them on the kitchen counter Thursday morning and grabbing them and tossing them on the embarrassingly large pile of "junk to hide" on our bed before family arrived for Thanksgiving lunch.  But Sunday afternoon as B and I were walking out the door, I remembered that he needed his ears and could not find the darn things anywhere.  After a few minutes of searching with no luck, I took him on to practice sans ears feeling fairly confident that I would quickly locate them as soon as we got home after practice.  This was not the case.  I practically turned the house upside down looking for it.  I dug through piles of laundry, looked among the toys on the floor in the playroom, and sifted through each and every stack of paper in the house with no success.  I went to bed that night disgusted and annoyed just to wake up Monday morning still just as irritated that I could not get my hands on those ears.  THAT I HAD BORROWED!!!

Monday morning was when I actually started to feel myself coming unglued.  I took cushions off of the sofa, dug through every trash can in the house, and looked under every bed twice.  Then I resorted to actually digging through the hobo outside.  I am sure I looked like some type of drifter digging in the trash in my driveway looking for cow ears!

I was starting to lose hope.  Where could they possibly be??  During my mad, crazed searching, the kids had managed to take every box from their toy shelf and dump all of their toys all over the floor in the playroom.  So I took a break from my frantic, frenzied treasure hunt to clean up toys before naptime.  When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a pair of cow ears in a pile of toys.  I literally started screaming and dancing around the house.  I am pretty sure the kids thought I had lost my mind--if they didn't already think that.



I have no idea how the ears got there, and I don't really care.  I just know that they are now safely sitting on the printer in my bedroom waiting to don the head of the cutest little cow to ever grace the stage of a Christmas program.  And I am pretty glad that I have been able to sleep easy since finding them.

No comments:

Post a Comment