Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Cookies

I try to make Christmas cookies with the kids every year, and this year was no exception.  However, it did take us several days to get it done, and we were so busy I was starting to wonder if it would actually happen!

I use the following basic sugar cookie recipe.  It is easy and tasty.

Basic Sugar Cookies

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla

Cream butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla.  Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder and add to the butter mixture.  Divide into 3-4 discs, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.  Remove from fridge 20-30 minutes before rolling out and cutting.  (I put the baking sheets with the cutout cookies on them in the fridge for a few minutes before baking.)  Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are just brown.  Let cool and decorate as desired.

The kids love using the cookie cutters, so pulling them out is always fun.




Sadly, we were not able to frost and decorate the cookies until a couple of days after baking them.  I had picked up a can of Pillsbury frosting with the sprinkles in the little tub as the top.  I was surprised that the frosting was green since it was just labeled as vanilla, so I popped open a can of white frosting that I had gotten for frosting cupcakes.  With their own bowls of frosting and a butter knife these kids had a blast!



Some additional sprinkles and a handful of mini chocolate chips for the snowmen, and we were done.  They were yummy (although I would not invite anyone to eat any that C made since I caught her licking her fingers more than once!) and done just in time for Santa!

No comments:

Post a Comment